[complete] Barmy Army

Level Three: Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, including the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad, Obliviator Headquarters and Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee

Re: Barmy Army

Postby Macayla Carter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Beyond the Invisibility Task Force cubicles, stood another large oak door, golden plaque in pride of place. "Muggle Liaison Office." Was all that needed to be said, before they turned back the way they came. Estevan seemed to be taking it all in, which was good. His comments made it clear he was listening. The longer they walked, the more Macayla was convinced he'd be a great assest to the team. It would be intesting to see what the others thought of him, some of them weren't as easy to please as Aleksander. "I've actually never visited Australia, nor its Ministry. But I've heard great things. They reached the balcony again, and Mac couldn't resist looking over the edge. It was a habit now, always looking for that one head. "When we get back to our desks, I'll show you the paperwork side of things."
Ministry of Magic
Magical Accidents and Catastrophes
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:42 pm

"It's much like this, really. Australia. Just smaller ministry, and more deadly magical beasts." His smile didn't falter. "I know it's your job and all, but thanks for taking time out to show me around. I'm sure you have lots of your own work to do. So yeah, thanks."
He looked over the edge of the balcony. "And despite what Kitty said, you really don't need to take me out on the town. I'm sure I will find my way around, London isn't that big surely?"
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle

Postby Macayla Carter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Deadly animals did not sound appealing. Spiders in England could get big enough, but she'd heard they were nothing compared to one in Aus. No thank you. "It's really no problem. We're all a team here, we help each other." That was sort of true. The Obliviator's and AMR worked with each other a lot, but they didn't come across the other divisions very often. Okay so was 'Kitty' Aleksander's new nickname. She bloody well hoped so. Plenty of people in the department would get on board with that name. They'd all take any chance possible to poke a bit of fun at the resident pain in the ass. "We all have a drink at the Cauldron after work, you're more than welcome to come. It'll give you a chance to meet more people." Mac glanced at him with a smile as they passed the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee corridor again. "London is pretty big."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Estevan nodded as they walked considering the idea of heading out, first night in London. Getting off on the right foot would be best, probably. And getting some visibility in the department? Might do something to dissuade the 'young guy' mentality he was expecting to encounter. Plus, he knew noone in the entire country, except the old guy who ran the hostel he was staying in until he found somewhere to stay more permanently.
"Ok. Sure. I'm in."
He returned her smile, then returned to looking around as they walked.
"So, paperwork aside, how many callouts crop up in a week? And do we always get paired up with the same Accidental? Am I going to get stuck with Kitty every time?"
His voice continued to remain upbeat.
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle

Postby Macayla Carter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Macayla was pleased she'd convinced the boy to come out, she was honestly surprised he needed convincing at all. When she was his age, she needed exactly no convincing to get drunk. In fact, that was still the case now. Drinking with Aleks was a very common occurance, they'd probably be a terrible influence on Estevan. "Hmm, I'd say about twenty ish, maybe." Mac tried to recall if anyone had ever researched actual figures. She didn't think they had. "That's during the week. If stuff crops up on a weekend, we have a rota. I'm on next weekend." A wide grin reappeared on her features at the mention of Kitty again. "Sometimes a specific team is asked for, but if not we generally get to choose who we want to work with. Kitty tends to be one of my first choices, he gets shit done." Mac shrugged a little, glancing in the direction of Aleksander's desk when they reentered the cubicle room.
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 pm

As they entered the cubicle area, he once again slipped the jacket off, and onto the back of his chair, which he wheeled over to Macayla's cubicle.
"So, paperwork time."
He unclipped his cufflinks, small silver unicorns, and put them in his pocket.
"I promise, I'll try and keep up."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle

Postby Macayla Carter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:34 am

"Ah, yes. The fun stuff." With a slight huff in her voice, Macayla opened a draw and retrieved a sparkly new file full of papers. "This is a standard case file. Top sheet has team information, like names, divisions, stuff like that." She wheeled her own chair around so they sat on the same side of her desk. "Each case has a number, and a photo if the subject is over eighteen. Obviously a lot of them don't have photos, what with most cases being kids who haven't even started school yet." Mac pushed the file across the desk towards Estevan, encouraging him to have a flick through. "There will usually be a summary of what's happened. We attend the scene, do whatever has to be done. Then the next hundred pages is where we put our report. What we did, whether it was successful. They want it step by step, very detailed."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 pm

The young Obliviator slowly paged through the paperwork, nodding occasionally. "Thorough reporting. This might be a bigger challenge than the actual spellwork." He gave a small smile, but seemed genuinely set aback. "Does the ministry provide remembralls to ensure nothing gets forgotten in the reports? Seems like that would be a good option."
He closed the file, and looked back up.
"And what happens after that? Where do we send the files? Do they get reviewed? Or combined with the Accidental's report and sent in together?"
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle

Postby Macayla Carter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:17 pm

This was all a lot to take in, she knew that. It felt like only yesterday Macayla had come in for her own first day. In reality, that had been about 4 years ago. How times flies when you're having fun. "No remembralls, if we forget something we just use a pensieve." Although, remembralls were actually a bloody good idea. She made a mental note to suggest them at some point. "Once we're happy with our part of the report, we get together with the whole team involved and compare notes. If everyone's satisfied, it goes to Blythe, head of the department."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:34 pm

He kept reading through the various parts of the report structure, finally closing it.
"Ok. I think I've got the idea. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when it comes to actually filling them in though."
He leaned back, scratching the back of his hand absently.
"And that's the job? Paperwork and callouts? Seems pretty good."
A momentary hesitation and he continued. "So, what do you want me to do now? Like, you have actual work to do I assume...."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle

Postby Macayla Carter » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 pm

The witch tried to think if she'd missed anything, probably. That would do for now though, she didn't want to overwhelm the poor lad. After getting up and returning the empty file to its draw, she dragged her chair back round the desk. "Basically yeah." Macayla nodded. It didn't sound like much when he put it that way. "I've got a few things to finish up. You'll find a sheet to fill out in your top draw, standard for new recruits, just needs your contact information and stuff." Her backside sank comfortably into her chair. "When you've done that, we'll see whats going on."
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
31/12/1978
BLOOD STATUS
Pureblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5'7"
PLAYER | Morgan

Postby Estevan Mazzola » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Estevan gave a little nod and stood, collecting his chair and rolling it back to his cubicle with a very simple "Sounds good, thanks."
He sat silently in the empty cubicle, staring at blank walls for a moment, taking it all in. And there was a lot to take in.
Less than 24 hours ago, he had used a portkey, walked away from everyone he knew, and moved to London to accept a job offer to be an Obliviator. He had to make it work. He had converted enough galleons to dollars, which he had converted to pounds before leaving Sydney, to pay up a fortnight at the hostel, but he was hoping his housing application would be accepted by the ministry soon, and he could move into something more long term.
An invite to a bar called the Leaky Cauldron? Not usually his scene but maybe he could make some friends? Macayla seemed nice enough, but she had to be, right? It was her job to make him feel welcome. Maybe off duty he would be able to get a better read on her.

He opened his drawer, pulled out the form, and looked at it quizzically. Basic things, mostly. He made a note to get his apparition licence updated for London, and after retrieving his quill from his satchel, he began filling the form in.
Ministry of Magic
Obliviator
BIRTHDAY
12/ 9/1985
BLOOD STATUS
Halfblood
MAGIC STATUS
n/a
HEIGHT
5' 10"
PLAYER | thedunkle